Sunday, February 7, 2010

First day of the blog!

It is Super Bowl Sunday here in New Orleans, and my first plant has sprouted! But before we get to that, I should probably say what this whole thing is about. So here goes-

For Christmas my dad got me a banana seed kit. It came with some ten species of bananas, as well as a couple species of tropical trees. On January 24th I finally got around to buying some seed starting trays and to sowin' the seeds. Here is a picture of the setup:



As you can see, there is a crap load of seeds. The pieces of paper are my "seed maps". Without them, I would have absolutely no idea which species of banana are planted in any given square.

























That's that. The seed kit said that each species takes between 4 and 36 weeks to germinate. Now, I know what you are asking: "There are ten types of bananas?!? What kinds do you have?!?" Here is a list:

Royal Purple Banana
Blood Banana
Kluay Pa Banana
Royal Sweet Banana
Dwarf Cavendish Banana
Flowering Rose Banana
Scarlet Banana
Striped Banana
Ethiopian Banana
Velvet Banana

I also have sown seeds of Flame of the Forest and the Giant White Bird of Paradise.

OK, that is enough for this post. Back later with pictures of the germinating Flame of the Forest and some banana facts!

No comments:

Post a Comment